The Ideal Candidate
You are an inclusive builder of vision, teams, strategies, and service with a demonstrated track record of leadership that results in a strong, growing organization and satisfied clients. You are able to balance the tension of being both a business and a charity with strong financial acumen and a values-based, transparent approach to allocating resources that ensures budgets reflect priorities. From your collaborative and consensus-driven style, every member of your team is respected and engaged and results are achieved. Your fundraising success demonstrates your strengths in relationship building and communication; you are as comfortable with a grant maker as you are with a client.
Housing Opportunities and Maintenance for the Elderly (H.O.M.E.) is a one-of-a-kind Chicago organization that seeks to foster joy, connection, and independence for Chicago’s low-income seniors. H.O.M.E. is a bright spot for all who know it. H.O.M.E. helps low-income seniors in Chicago maintain their independence by providing a home upkeep and repair service, shopping bus, moving assistance, and three affordable apartment buildings where seniors can live comfortably in an intergenerational environment. Characterized by a warm and caring culture, solid programs and financials, a committed staff and board—all while receiving less than 10% of its operating budget from state and federal sources—H.O.M.E. is well-positioned for the future, including its growth-focused strategic plan.
The Executive Director, in collaboration with board and staff, leads in executing the vision, mission and strategy of H.O.M.E. Success in this role means achieving the strategic goals while embodying H.O.M.E. values of service to the elderly: dignity, community, independence, and trust. The Executive Director will display a deep knowledge of nonprofit best practices, including governance, fundraising and communications; will balance long-term strategic vision with short-term implementation; and will demonstrate a growth mindset coupled with the ability to execute. At H.O.M.E., fostering a strong culture matters; the executive director will have a proven record as a team-builder, an inclusive manner of making decisions and resolving conflict, and a sense of humor coupled with humility.
- At least 15 years of proven success in nonprofit management; at least 10 years of senior management experience, including working with a board of directors and volunteers to achieve goals
- A track record of fundraising success, having directly participated in fundraising; capital campaign experience preferred
- Experience working in organizations with affordable residential real estate
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience managing and using client and fundraising databases
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in related field preferred
- A passion for the mission and vision of H.O.M.E., including respect and care for low-income seniors
Along with salary, this full time professional role offers a generous benefit package, including health and dental benefits.