In Tuesday’s email, I talked about a mentor who challenged me to “Ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life.” Attempting to do that led me to see some deep fears driving much of my hurry and busyness.
If I want to be less busy, I have to say “no” to more things. But saying no terrified me.
- If I’m not available for my clients, will they still want to work with me? Will they go someplace else?
- How will they know I’m working hard for them if I don’t deliver quickly?
- If I’m not “on top of everything,” it’s hard for me to feel like I’m doing a good job.
Again, not having any suitable alternatives, I decided to say no despite my fear.
No one blinked!
- When I said, “No, I can’t meet on Friday, how about Tuesday? No one thought I was unavailable; we just talked about a different date.”
- When I asked, “When do you need this by?” clients often said, “I can’t look at it in the next week, so next Friday is fine.” I would have worked all weekend to get it out on Monday if I didn’t ask.
- When I put blocks on my calendar to have dedicated time to do the work of running my business, no one thought I was cheating. No one suggested, why don’t you do that nights and weekends!
On Tuesday, I asked, “If you could find a way to be 50% less busy, what would that do for your business and life?”
I found out that the only thing standing between my life of too much busyness and that dream of more spacious work was my own fear.
By the way, you can get a 5 day plan to get rid of that overwhelmed feeling and get moving again. Learn more here.